24 Mar Property Owners Invest In Facility Improvements To Attract Tenants
Savvy business owners are on the lookout for advantageous bases of operation. As the economy rebounds, they need larger or additional facilities to accommodate expansion. Many industrial spaces in Seattle, Washington’s SODO district are in high demand. Their easy access from Interstate I-5 and proximity to downtown Seattle make them ideal. One such property is the 24,500 square foot space known as the Dakota Building. Commercial real estate investment firm SMARTCAP recently acquired the property. It sought to make facility improvements to attract new tenants.
Work started on the exterior, with a refreshed paint job. Next, the Dakota Building received a new high-efficiency lighting system. The original lighting system comprised outdated, inefficient fluorescent lamps in the interior spaces and metal halide fixtures on the exterior. SMARTCAP asked Lumenal Lighting to explore its lighting upgrade options. Lumenal performed a thorough light fixture audit and discussed lighting goals with SMARTCAP. Our commercial lighting design team used that information to prepare a fixture schedule, layout, rebate calculation, and project estimate.
Energy savings are at the core of all facility improvements. Improved light quality and overall appearance are a bonus.
– Bobbi McLeod, LC, Lumenal Lighting
Lighting Upgrades Yield Multiple Benefits
The lighting design team’s goals were to reduce energy costs, eliminate costly maintenance, and improve the overall appearance of the space. The new interior lighting design consisted of strategically placed LED high bay and linear fixtures. Implementing occupancy sensors to detect when interior spaces are unoccupied achieved further cost savings. The new exterior lighting design replaced inefficient light fixtures with high efficiency and long-lasting LED equivalents. The entire lighting upgrade project resulted in many benefits to the property owners and future tenants:
- Estimated 74% reduction in kilowatt-hours (kWh‘s)
- Total energy cost savings estimate of over $5,000 per year
- Maintenance costs reduced by approximately $1,800 per year for the life of the new fixtures
- 3-1/2 year payback period after factoring in a Seattle City Light utility rebate
- Net gain of $48,000 after 10 years
- Improved light quality for the life of the system
LED Upgrades Result in Improved Appearance
Upgrading flickering fluorescent lamps and harsh, high-intensity discharge (HID) fixtures to high quality LED lighting solutions results in an improved lighting experience. Warehouse spaces often suffer from shadowed areas and an uninviting cave effect. Mindful fixture placement in the warehouse create a uniformly illuminated and safer environment. Before and after images of the Dakota Building’s interior lighting illuminate the difference.
Dakota Building Interior Before Lighting Upgrade
Dakota Building Interior After Lighting Upgrade
Invest In Your Own Facility Improvements And Attract New Tenants
Contact us online or call Lumenal Lighting at (425) 481-5001 today to attract new tenants. Upgrade your industrial lighting, save energy, and visually transform your space.
- SMARTCAP – Dakota Building – SODO District, Seattle, WA 98108
- Keystone – XFit Round LED High Bay Fixtures
- Keystone – Full Cutoff LED Wall Packs
- ILP Lighting – Value Strip Linear LED Strip Fixture
- Lumenal Lighting – Industrial Lighting Upgrades
- Lumenal Lighting – LED Commercial Lighting Upgrades
- Lumenal Lighting – LED Commercial Lighting Design Service